Waldorf Maryland Attorney
Pedestrian accidents can be devastating, and they can happen to anyone. In fact, statistics show that pedestrian injuries are on the rise with distracted driving in Maryland and across the US.
No matter how careful you are, or even if you did not plan to be on foot, it is just the nature of the world we live in. When a person is hit by a motor vehicle, the injuries are usually serious, even in low speed collisions. You need the help of an experienced pedestrian injury attorney to recover the full compensation you need to cover the costs of your injuries now and in the years to come.
In Waldorf or anywhere in Charles County, Maryland, please, talk to experienced pedestrian accident attorney Alison Mason Heurich, Esq., today.
Driver Negligence and Pedestrian Accidents
Driver negligence is commonly the cause of pedestrian accidents. It comes in many forms. Distraction is a common factor, and there may have been more than one type of driver negligence at play when you were hit by a car. Examples of the types of driver negligence that cause pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving, including texting and other device use, as well as no-tech distractions such as eating or tending to children
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Drunk driving
- Impairment with prescription, over-the-counter (OTC) or recreational drugs
- Failure to use caution appropriate for weather, road, or traffic conditions
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Failure to observe crosswalks
- Failure to use turn signal
- Unsafe passing
- Illegal passing of school busses
- Failure to maintain lane
- Failure to check blind spots before backing up
- Not using caution in areas where children are known to be present, such as school zones and near parks
- Not using caution in construction zones
- Failure to use caution when passing a vehicle stopped on the side of the road
Other Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
The convergence of pedestrians and motor vehicles, or horse-drawn vehicles for that matter, has always posed dangers and design challenges. Governments, automakers, and others continually struggle to keep up with the ever-changing dynamics of foot vs. auto traffic and the constant pressure to improve safety. But some fail at their efforts, or fail to make the effort entirely.
Other common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Lack of crosswalk
- Improperly marked crosswalk
- Poorly designed crosswalk
- Dangerous intersection design
- Malfunctioning traffic signal
- Dangerous bus stop design
- Inadequate barricades to prevent vehicles from entering pedestrian areas
- Poorly designed parking lots and parking structures
- Inadequate lighting in parking lots and parking structures
- Inadequate lighting in areas where pedestrians are likely to be present
- Lack of safe pedestrian detour in construction zones
- Inadequately or improperly marked construction zones
- Lack of school crossing guard
- Defective vehicle
Learn more about your rights and how you can recover full and fair compensation for your pedestrian accident injuries by emailing or calling experienced Maryland pedestrian accident attorney Alison Mason Heurich, Esq., at 240-346-4883 to schedule your free consultation right away.
Attorney Heurich represents people with pedestrian accident claims in Waldorf and throughout Maryland.